CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

2008년 3월 4일 화요일

Entry #6

What is the climax of this novel? What happens? How do the events of this novel make you feel?

The climax of this novel is where Bill and his "family" leave the government officials in their home and take off. Bill deliberately turns down the fences that were preventing the triffids from coming in. By choosing to take this course of action, Bill chose to live his life for what he believed was just. The new "government" was only reestablishing the negative aspects of the former human race. They were forcing his family to take in blind people. Arrogant with their self-received power, they had no proper thoughts for the well-being of the survivors. Furthermore, the power-hungry government officials were seeking to take hold of political power ASAP to remain a national powerhouse in Europe. This seems pointless. In that world, the whole Earth is out of order. There is no economy, no political parties, nothing. Establishing oneself as powerhouse would mean nothing. There would be no civilization to rule over. Simply, the new government was spurious and unjust. Bill knew this did not follow his heart and that he would be better off in the new island settlement. He made his decision with his family and their needs in mind. Ultimately, he chose between a life under a feeble imitation of the previous world and the path to the new human race, to a life of integrity, hope, and justice.

These events gave me mixed feelings. First of all, I was reminded that old habits die hard. The humane desire for power was still evident in the government officials even after the fall of the human race. Their obsession of power was blinding the order of what needed to be prioritized in the new world. I was reminded of bad habits people all around the world have today; smoking, drinking, and sexual immorality just to name a few. Many know that these habits only have lasting negative effects for just a few moments of pleasure. But we all have some area that we struggle in with moral issues. The fact gives me powerless, sad emotions of helplessness in the human experience. On the other hand, Bill’s gallant decisions gave me something to feel good about. It was the decision I would have made and the sight of the family driving off to live their lives in freedom was projected into my heart. The scene gave me motivation to live and act according to my beliefs and my opinions, to live in the truth.


1 개의 댓글:

breaxion :

I love it how you made your answer so personal James.
I totally agree with you in the "Old habits die hard" part. Now I wish I could express that thought so concisely like you did, besides being so wordy about it.

But I disagree with you in the way you included smoking as one of those "old habits" that people should discard. I mean, surely, smoking is a bad habit, but only because it damages one's health, not because it is immoral.

I also felt inspired by Bill Masen's decision of leaving Shirning like you did. The only difference is that unlike you, I would probably not be able to make the decision of leaving Shirning if I were Bill. This is because Shirning has become too homely to Bill over the years for him to just simply abandon it and find another settlement.

So I admire you in that you would be able to make such a courageous decision.

Those were Brian Park's personal opinions ^^.